Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Picture#8


In this picture I'm sitting with Brownie, my dog and constant companion. Each day after school I would grab a freezie from the freezer and go for a run with Brownie as we ran we'd stop for freezie breaks. I would suck some of the juice from a piece, and break it off, then push it out for Brownie to eat from my hand. Brownie was such an important part of my life. He bled to death shortly after my Mom got sick.

I remember his last night trying to get some broth down his throat with a syringe. Lying with him on the garage floor and crying. Laying with my arms around him. It was the middle of winter and it was bitterly cold. I had laid out a rug for him, but even with the rug the cold from the cement penetrated my warm flesh with icicles. I lay with my arms around him and wept. For in his death I lost not only my dog but the keeper of my secrets, my shoulder to cry on after my Mom got sick and the only constant thing at my house.

When I see our old van in the background of this picture the first thing that comes to mind is the wheelchair ramps that we had when my Mom was in her wheelchair. We had to set them up, wheel Mom up into the van. Next we used the metal lock bar our neighbor had created and lock her wheelchair in place then take down the ramps and slide them into the van. Then we would be able to go wherever we where going.

No comments:

Post a Comment